Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Too good to be true?

So, in the search to get my book into as many hands as possible, I have stumbled upon a service called booktango.


Note the beta. This is definitely a work in progress and isn't as polished as smashwords, although the rates are definitely attractive (0% cut for sales on booktango, 10% for external retailers)! The main thing I can see that is missing is a slightly clunky search facility for books listed on their site, a missing sales reporting facility and an overly manual process for submitting your novel.

The positive to this service is that it distributes to a tonne of electronic retailers (the list is here). Colour me impressed. Especially for barnes & noble, which doesn't allow non-US residents to submit their novel via their pubit website.

Although,
it has been about two weeks since I've submitted my book and it is still in the process of being validated / approved / verified / distributed, rather than 'auto-vetted' in comparison to smashwords. All in all, I'm happy to allow a little down time between publications just as long as more revenue comes my way and my book is distributed to as many possible readers as possible. My experience with their representatives have been positive and as soon as it becomes a little more automated, it will be a must use for every independent writer.

If anyone has had any prior experience with this service, or a better one, leave a comment in the post. It's good to know what is out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment