Sunday, May 20, 2012

Interview with Pavarti Tyler

I would like to welcome Pavarti Tyler to my corner of the internet. Her third novel is called "Shadow on the Wall". As the twitter summary goes: Recai Osman: Muslim, philosopher, billionaire and Superhero?



Amazon: Shadow on the Wall - (ebook) $4.95


"Controversial and daring, Shadow on the Wall details the transformation of Recai Osman from complicated man to Superhero. Forced to witness the cruelty of the Morality Police in his home city of Elih, Turkey, Recai is called upon by the power of the desert to be the vehicle of change. Does he have the strength to answer Allah's call or will his dark past and self doubt stand in his way?

Pulling on his faith in Allah, the friendship of a Jewish father-figure and a deeply held belief that his people deserve better, Recai Osman must become The SandStorm."




To celebrate the release of her third novel on May 1st, Pavarti has been gracious enough to answer a few questions that I had about her novel:
  1. Tell me a little about yourself
    I'm an accountant/bookkeeper by day and an author by... well all the other times.  I have two children, two terrible dogs and an amazing husband who keeps me as sane as I probably can be.  I love to live in the world of make-believe where the impossible can come alive.  I hope I bring that to my life as well as my writing.
  2. What is the meaning behind the novel's title: 'Shadow on the Wall'?
    Well that would just give away everything wouldn't it?  You'll have to read and see.

  3. What was the inspiration for your novel?
    Originally Shadow was written as a part of a writing challenge my friend Jeff Wills put on his blog. He challenged his readers to write about a Middle Eastern superhero. I wrote about two-thousand words and realized I was no where near done with the story in my head. I continued working on it for NaNoWriMo 2010 and finished a few months later. Ultimately, the inspiration was to tell a story which spoke to people on an archetypal level and explore issues which in life are often too frightening to look at directly, such as religious intolerance, misogyny and fate.
  4. The all-important question: Spiderman had a radioactive spider and The Green Lantern had a ring. How does Recai Osman gain his powers?
    The desert calls upon him to heed the mission Allah has given him.
  5. What would you hope your readers to gain from reading this novel?
    I hope readers come away feeling a connection to the people around them. In Shadow, the world is very different from the one I live in from day to day, but the people are still relatable. The reason for this is that good people, trying to do the right thing, and pulling on their beliefs or faith to make themselves better, exist everywhere. No matter what color they are or if they wear a hijab or if they don't speak the same language, it doesn't matter. When you distill it down to the basics, we're all the same.
  6. Are there any more adventures in store for 'The Sandstorm'?
    Indeed, Book Two Prisoner's of the Wind will be out later 2013 or 2014.  The third and final book is still in the percolation stage.
I would like to thank Pavarti for her time and wish her all the success with her latest novel.

6 comments:

  1. Nice interview! The title is intriguing indeed.
    I especially love the cover! :D
    BTW check out m blog sometime. New follower!
    Books With Marshmallows

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen, thanks for featuring Pavarti on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for hosting me! It was a fun little interview to do :)
    Pav

    ReplyDelete