Tuesday, June 15, 2021

I win

My mind regales back to an experience back in my youth where I was in a position to play a formerly hearing, but presently deaf, opponent at checkers - who was not even a native English speaker. And yet, he would attempt to communicate to us in English, despite it neither being native, nor within the realm of his hearing.

 

 

For, despite the onset of years, he was still a formidable opponent and would let out a blood-curdling and hearing-unbridled 'I win!' upon actually winning. And we couldn't do anything but accept our loss and reset the board while somehow winning from having experienced something so life-affirming - and at such a young age.

 It was a magical time. He may have passed on since then ... but I still remember.


No comments:

Post a Comment